Arrival and dismissal are very busy times of the day at PS 199. For everyone’s safety, we ask parents and caregivers to follow the procedures outlined below.
Please take note of new inclement weather arrival procedures that went into effect on January 31st, 2020.
- All students should arrive by 8:30 am.
- Free breakfast is available to all students starting at 8:10 to 8:25 am in the school cafeteria.
- Our Standard Arrival procedure uses a two-siren system. The first siren is at 8:28 am. Upper grades enter the school at this siren and lower grade line up at their class sport. The second siren is at 8:30 am. Lower grade classes enter the school with their teachers. Parents/caregivers should promptly leave the school yard at this point.
- In case of inclement weather, we will use different arrival or dismissal procedures.
- Each class has a designated line spot in the school yard. See diagram.
- If a family arrives after the second siren at 8:30am (the “good-bye” bell), the student may enter the large yard but the adult may not. If you are very late, please drop your student off in the main entrance.
- Sports, scooters, and other games should not start until after 3:10 pm following dismissal. There are a lot of people in the school yard during dismissal including many younger siblings. This ask is to avoid injury from stray balls and scooters.
Kindergarten students should arrive at 8:55 am on the first day ONLY. Teachers will meet their classes at 9 am and bring them inside. Parents are invited to go into the classroom for a short time.
After the first day, Kindergarteners will follow the Standard Arrival Procedure.
Arrival for All Other Grades
Students should arrive by 8:30. At the second siren,
- 1st & 2nd Grade – line up in the yard at the class line spot
- 3rd grade – proceed inside to the gym where teachers will meet their classes
- 4th & 5th grade – proceed directly to your classes
On the first day, Kindergarteners will be dismissed at 2:30 pm. Parents/caregivers should meet their students at the class line spots.
Dismissal For All Other Grades
All other grades will be dismissed at 2:50 from the school year.
Kindergarten, First, & Second Grades
- The Playground Gate will open at approximately 8:20am and close at 8:35am.
- ONLY K, 1st and 2nd grade will use the Yard for drop-off, no other grades will be permitted.
- Dogs are not allowed in the yard.
- GUARDIANS MUST REMAIN WITH THEIR STUDENTS UNTIL TEACHERS ARRIVE AT 8:30am.
- Parents please help your child line up and be ready to meet their teachers.
- Be on time! Students arriving late after 8:35am must use the Main Entrance of the Building. Guardians must accompany their child into the building.
Third, Fourth, & Fifth Grades will enter at the West End entrance
- WILL NOT be permitted in the yard in the morning.
- Students will enter through West End Entrance and go straight to their classrooms.
- Plan your arrival time to be between 8:26am-8:30am. Students arriving early should line up behind the doors and along the building gate. Doors will remain open until 8:35 a.m.
- GUARDIANS MUST REMAIN WITH THEIR STUDENTS UNTIL THE WEST END ENTRANCE DOORS ARE OPENED AT 8:26am and will NOT be allowed in the building.
- Be on time! Students arriving late after 8:35am must use the Main Entrance. Guardians must accompany their child into the building.
SPECIAL NOTE: Families with students in K, 1st or 2nd grades AND with students in 3rd, 4th or 5th grades are asked to stay with their older child(ren) until the West End Entrance doors open at 8:26am and then proceed to the Yard to drop younger students. Teachers will be advised to wait in the Yard until 8:32am so that students with older siblings have enough time to enter at the Playground Gate and Yard. If you have any unusual circumstances, please contact our parent coordinator Ms. Sansoucie at a firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the case of heavy snow, rain, or other inclement weather, Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade students will not line-up in the school yard due to safety concerns. Parents/caregivers should plan to have students at the school by 8:30 am.
Parents will receive a Konstella notification by 8:00 am indicating when the inclement weather arrival procedure is being used.
- Students will be able to enter the building for breakfast at 8:00 am.
- Parents WILL NOT be allowed into the cafeteria on inclement weather days.
Kindergarten, First, and Second Grades
- Students enter through the main entrance of the school.
- GUARDIANS CANNOT ENTER THE BUILDING.
- The main entrance doors will open at approximately 8:20 am.
- Kindergarten and First Grade students will go to the auditorium, sit in their rainy-day recess seats, and be picked up by their teachers at 8:30 am.
- Second Grade students will go upstairs to the gym into their classroom lines and be picked up by their teachers at 8:30 am.
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grades
- Students will enter through West End entrance and go straight to their classrooms.
- Plan your arrival time to be between 8:23 am-8:30 am. Students arriving early should line up behind the doors and along the building gate.
- West End Entrance doors will open at 8:23 am and close at 8:35 am.
- GUARDIANS MUST REMAIN WITH THEIR STUDENTS UNTIL THE WEST END ENTRANCE DOORS OPEN (at 8:23 am).
- Students arriving late after 8:35 am must use the main entrance.
NOTE: The school will make every effort to follow normal arrival procedures. This includes when it is lightly raining or snowing. IF POSSIBLE, please leave strollers and umbrellas at home in this case to make arrival less congested.
School ends at 2:50 pm. All grades are dismissed from the school yard. Parents and caregivers should meet students at the appropriate class line spot in the schoolyard.
Fourth and Fifth Grade students whose parents have provided the necessary permissions may walk home unattended. These students will be dismissed through the main entrance while classes are filing out to the school yard.
We dismiss students in the usual way – even if it is raining! However, in cases of extreme weather, parents will be allowed to meet their children in the school:
- Kindergarten – pickup child from their classroom
- 1st and 2nd grades – go to auditorium
- 3rd, 4th and 5th grades – go to cafeteria
NOTE: Older siblings will be directed to meet his/her younger sibling at their designated area – classroom, auditorium or cafeteria.
Parents will receive a Konstella notification by 2 pm indicating when inclement weather dismissal procedures will be used.
The school day starts at 8:30. It is very disruptive for students to arrive late for the teacher, student, and fellow classmates. Please make every effort to arrive on time, every day.
When students are late, they must enter through the main entrance. The security guards will maintain a list of students that arrive late.
Attendance and tardiness are recorded electronically in each student’s school record. This information is frequently considered during the admissions process for middle school.
The Department of Education uses an automated dialing system to contact parents when a child is marked late or absent. Please note that the school does not control the timing or content of these calls. If you receive a call in error, please contact the school directly to address.