Arrival and dismissal are very busy times of the day at PS 199. For everyone’s safety, we ask parents and caregivers to follow the procedures outlined below.
- All students should arrive by 8:30 am.
- Free breakfast is available to all students starting at 8:10 am in the school cafeteria.
- Our Standard Arrival procedure uses a two-siren system. The first siren is at 8:28 am. Upper grades enter the school at this siren and lower grade line up at their class sport. The second siren is at 8:30 am. Lower grade classes enter the school with their teachers. Parents/caregivers should promptly leave the school yard at this point.
- In case of inclement weather, we will use different arrival or dismissal procedures.
- Each class has a designated line spot in the school yard. See diagram.
- If a family arrives after the second siren at 8:30am (the “good-bye” bell), the student may enter the large yard but the adult may not. If you are very late, please drop your student off in the main entrance.
- Sports, scooters, and other games should not start until after 3:10 pm following dismissal. There are a lot of people in the school yard during dismissal including many younger siblings. This ask is to avoid injury from stray balls and scooters.
Kindergarten students should arrive at 8:55 am on the first day ONLY. Teachers will meet their classes at 9 am and bring them inside. Parents are invited to go into the classroom for a short time.
After the first day, Kindergarteners will follow the Standard Arrival Procedure.
Arrival for All Other Grades
Students should arrive by 8:30. At the second siren,
- 1st & 2nd Grade – line up in the yard at the class line spot
- 3rd grade – proceed inside to the gym where teachers will meet their classes
- 4th & 5th grade – proceed directly to your classes
On the first day, Kindergarteners will be dismissed at 11:50 am. Parents/caregivers should meet their students at the class line spots.
Dismissal For All Other Grades
All other grades will be dismissed at 2:50 from the school year.
Kindergarten, First, & Second Grades
Students should meet their classes in the school yard. The first siren sounds at 8:28 am. Students should being lining up at their class’s designates spots. These spots are identified by signs on the playground fence.
Teachers will meet their classes at the second siren. Parents and caregivers should promptly leave the playground area at this time. Parents should not escort classes into the school or linger in the school yard as this creates extra congestion and slows the arrival process.
Third, Fourth, & Fifth Grades
At the first siren, students can proceed directly to their classrooms.
In the case of rain, snow, or other inclement weather, students will not line-up in the school yard due to safety concerns. Parents/caregivers should plan to have students at the school by 8:30.
Parents will receive a Konstella notification by 8 am indicating when the inclement weather arrival procedure is being used.
Kindergarten & First Grades
Parents/caregivers should drop off students at the doors closest to West End Ave. A member of the school staff will be present to help direct students to their classrooms.
Second, Third, Fourth, & Fifth Grades
Parents/caregivers should drop off students at the main school doors closest to West End Ave. Students should proceed directly to their classrooms.
School ends at 2:50 pm. All grades are dismissed from the school yard. Parents and caregivers should meet students at the appropriate class line spot in the schoolyard.
Fourth and Fifth Grade students whose parents have provided the necessary permissions may walk home unattended. These students will be dismissed through the main entrance while classes are filing out to the school yard.
We dismiss students in the usual way – even if it is raining! However, in cases of extreme weather, parents will be allowed to meet their children in the school:
- Kindergarten – pickup child from their classroom
- 1st and 2nd grades – go to auditorium
- 3rd, 4th and 5th grades – go to cafeteria
NOTE: Older siblings will be directed to meet his/her younger sibling at their designated area – classroom, auditorium or cafeteria.
Parents will receive a Konstella notification by 2 pm indicating when inclement weather dismissal procedures will be used.
The school day starts at 8:30. It is very disruptive for students to arrive late for the teacher, student, and fellow classmates. Please make every effort to arrive on time, every day.
When students are late, they must enter through the main entrance. The security guards will maintain a list of students that arrive late.
Attendance and tardiness are recorded electronically in each student’s school record. This information is frequently considered during the admissions process for middle school.
The Department of Education uses an automated dialing system to contact parents when a child is marked late or absent. Please note that the school does not control the timing or content of these calls. If you receive a call in error, please contact the school directly to address.