We ask that you adhere to the following arrival procedures to maintain an orderly and safe environment for our wonderful kids.
Outdoor Arrival will use a 2-bell system.
- The first blast of the siren at 8:28 AM will be the lineup bell. It is the signal for the upper grade students to walk down the ramp to enter school and for the parents to help their children in grades K, 1 and 2 to line up at their line spots.
- The second blast of the siren will follow shortly the first, at 8:30 AM, when the teachers are in the yard, and it is the good-bye bell. Parents must say good-bye to the students and leave the yard when the second siren sounds (or earlier if you can). The teachers will not leave their line spots until all the adults have departed so please don’t cause us to lose time in the morning by hanging around. Adults are free to continue their conversations on the sidewalk.
- If a family arrives after the second siren at 8:30 AM (the “good-bye” bell), the student may enter the large yard but the adult may not. We expect the students arriving at the last minute to be able to get into their lines; however, if you have a small child who isn’t confident enough to go into the yard without you, we have two solutions. The first option is to skip the yard and use the front door after 8:30 AM. The second, and preferred, solution is for you to arrive before 8:30 AM!
The goal is to make the start of the day pleasant for everyone. Most schools have much more restrictive policies in place and we are trying to avoid going that route. I ask you to consider the difficulty of our task: moving over 400 students toward one destination while perhaps 200 adults are moving in another direction. This is the best plan we could devise that will meet the needs of everyone, or at least most of the needs of almost everyone.
We are depending on your cooperation to make this a success. Some fifth graders will be deputized to be a Safety Patrol; their role will be to help students get on their lines and to tell parents that it is time to leave. Your compliance will be greatly appreciated by everyone.
Dismissal takes place at 2:50 PM. The gates to the yard open at 2:50 for parents/caregivers to enter. Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade students may not leave the yard until an authorized adult arrives for pick-up. If no adult arrives by 3:10, students are brought to the main office to wait. 4th and 5th grade students may be dismissed by themselves if a parent has given written consent to do so.
Rainy Day Arrival Plans
When it rains in the morning (or the schoolyard is covered in snow/ice) and children cannot use the yard for line-up, the following will take place at 8:30:
Kindergartners – meet in the cafeteria (at their tables)
- 1st & 2nd graders – meet in the auditorium
- 3rd, 4th & 5th graders – go directly to classroom
We need to ask that parents drop off their children at the front door and not come into the building – this is to help create a less crowded arrival time for the children.
Rainy Day Dismissal Plans
We dismiss students in the usual way – even if it is raining! However, in cases of extreme weather, parents will be allowed to meet their children in the school:
- Kindergarten – pickup child from their classroom
- 1st and 2nd grades – go to auditorium
- 3rd, 4th and 5th grades – go to cafeteria
NOTE: Older siblings will be directed to meet his/her younger sibling at their designated area – classroom, auditorium or cafeteria.
Please EXIT THROUGH CAFTERIA to avoid traffic jams at the front entrance